a look behind the scenes

My name is tammi swanson. I am a photographer, a children's clothing designer, and a stylist. I have also been a model, and a hair and makeup artist. My life, it seems, has always been surrounded by photo shoots and the fashion industry. My passion is children's editorial photography, and children's clothing. The stylist in me is always searching for the perfect items for photo shoots, so I have finally decided to turn my ideas into a children's collection. I see the end result, which is the photo shoot, in my head, and that is where I begin. I describe my designs to my pattern maker, we work out all of the details, and then I shoot the pieces the way I have them envisioned. It's all about creating a story, the mood, the beauty of childhood. I love the children in rennaisance paintings, pale sea and sand colors and tree-lined paths. I love formal gardens, small towns, farms and the countryside. Hopefully, some of you love these things too. This blog will tell the behind the scenes story of how it all comes together. Including what's really going on before, during, and after the photo shoots!

"Ophelia" tulle skirt giveaway!

Add yourself as a follower and automatically enter yourself to win the "Ophelia" tulle skirt! The drawing will be held December first and you will be able to choose your color and size of skirt. This is a $178.00 silk and tulle skirt with a silk underskirt. Perfect for a special photo shoot or a wedding or family portraits or the holidays!


the "Ophelia" tulle skirt

Saturday, April 25, 2009

The pool shoot

It's been a few days since my first post and a lot has been going on! I have been on the hunt for a clothing manufacturer that can produce the type of clothing we design here at opal. It's very detailed and needs special attention. Also, we aren't doing a high volume at this point so I need someone who can accomodate a smaller run now and grow with us. It's scary and all new to me. My good friend Leigh Chandler at Papillon Linens has been such an amazing mentor and is helping me on the search. Take a look at her exquisite linens when you have a chance. They are gorgeous. I met her originally because I was drawn to her bedding at a trade show and we became fast friends. I love being around creative people!
I am posting some images today of another opal shoot we just did. I'm including some of the outakes. We shot these images in our empty black-bottom pool. We emptied it for cleaning and my husband suggested I use it for photos before he re-filled it...the next day! I can pull a shoot together in no time flat (I think that's when I'm most creative!) and I always have more articles of new clothing to shoot! I called my models and we were shooting in 30 minutes! Whenever I shot Alyssa, Megan tried to sit by her and at one point our dog, Windsor, was running around in the pool too! Megan was mesmerized the entire time by kites in the sky behind our house. It gave her something to gaze at and filled her gorgeous eyes with the perfect reflected light! If you can imagine, we had my two youngest children, our two models, the dog, myself, my husband and probably another friend or two all in and around our little pool. It was so fun, I LOVE doing this!





Looking at the kites!






Still gazing at kites.....

Sitting by Alyssa while I was shooting Alyssa!



There's a big grey dog in my shot!

They match with their taupe outfits!



A striking pair...

1 comment:

  1. The photographic portfolio of the official website petit ophal clothier (before it was canceled) was excellent.
    I admire this artwork. My favorite section of photographs, no doubt, was this. The two girls are beautiful princesses!. I wish we could see them participating in more projects this 2011 :)

    ReplyDelete